Augustin Bunea Museum of History

Augustin Bunea Musteum of History


You like this?
Share with your friends!

The “Augustin Bunea” Museum of History in Blaj belongs to the category of cultural places with a complicated existence. The museum named after Augustine Bunea, the Greek-Catholic historian and theologian, never had a permanent headquarters. The museum was founded in 1939 and functioned within the Cultural Palace.


In 1974 it was moved to Geoagiu Bogdi Castle, dating from the seventeenth century and also representing the residence of the Greek-Catholic Metropolitan Church.


After the fall of communism regime, the institution received another head office, the “Youth Club”, which proved to be unsuitable for the development of museum activity. Currently, the “Augustine Bunea” Museum of History is closed, but it will function in a building located on Vasile Suciu Street, the same building used in the past by “George Sincai” Pedagogical College.


The inventory of the “Augustin Bunea” Museum of History includes more than 1,500 objects, some of them showing the continuity and unity of the Romanian people in the Carpathian-Danubian-Pontic space. We can encounter numerous exhibits from the Neolithic period, most of ceramics, which prove the presence of a Thracian agricultural population in this region since VI-II centuries BC.


Moreover, the museum patrimony includes objects found in Scythian and Celtic necropolis. The printing press is also interesting as they say it was used to print the New Testament, in 1648 at Alba Iulia.


Other exhibits: press, textbooks and ancient school transcripts, religious books, wooden type molds, xylography procedures and several copies of first editions of works written by representatives of the Transylvanian School. Equally valuable is the Printing House Register, which provides data and information on all printings ever realized.


“Augustin Bunea” Museum of History possesses the oldest book ever printed in Blaj. It is the book called “Strasnic”, dating from 1753. The museum property also contains a collection of 40 icons on wood, including the icon “The Assumption of the Virgin Mary” (realized ​​in 1747 by Iacov Zugraf), the Avram Iancu’s cross, as well as a fragment of Liberty Stone.

Images from Augustin Bunea Museum of History

Pictures from other tourists

Add a image or create a track

Add a comment